February 04, 2005

Has anyone seen my focus?

I have no focus today. I should probably add an "again" to that sentence. Classes started on Tuesday and I have a tonne and a half of work to do this semester. Yet somehow, I can't seem to get started on any of it. Probably going into the lab would help - at least I wouldn't be distracted by the endless amusements of the internet. But then again, I would be distracted by conversations amongst lab mates. It's easy to get drawn into (another) Bush-bashing or the-end-of-the-world-is-nigh discussion. Yes, we are happy people us fish labbies. I would go in and spend a few hours working on my project but I broke a nail - a thumb nail - and am once again waiting for those suckers to grow. I've read a few papers today and should go to the local cafe and read some more. This afternoon, I have to give a three-minute talk on why everyone should apply for the fellowship program I'm in; why it's so great. I should probably think about what I'm going to say. I should also prepare for the various talks I have to give next Tuesday.... But I'd rather surf the web. I feel like this week really is my final calm week before all hell breaks loose as I juggle teaching at middle school, a fisheries seminar, a fellowship seminar, writing a thesis, diving and - oh yeah - planning a wedding. It's like my mind/body has entered a state of rebellion: you can make me work next week, but today, I'm taking it easy.

In other news, I have officially left my women's circle. After a few months of thinking about it, I realized that I'm just not excited about a regular, structured thing. I love the women in the circle and will miss them, but it's not where I need to be focusing my energy right now. I was really nervous about letting them know given the shit that went down last time I left a women's circle. It ended up being really wonderful, despite my concerns. I was able to tell them how great they've been and they were able to do the same for me. I left feeling loved and supported. It was truly a wonderful evening.


On my way home, we pulled up behind a land rover with a cover over its spare tire upon which was drawn a fish. I identified it out loud before I realized what I was doing. Meghan turned to me and asked, "Do you ever feel like you know too much about something?" I think she was hinting at something.


And now that I have procrastinated even more, I will go and read what is sure to be a fascinating paper titled, "Fecundity of shortspine thornyhead (Sebastolobus alascanus) and longspine thornyhead ( S. altivelis) (Scorpeanidae) from the northeastern Pacific Ocean, determined by stereological and gravimetric techniques" - because I actually don't know too much about this quite yet.


No comments: