February 08, 2005

Externality Internalization

I thought that the word nonplus meant to be mildly upset about something as in, "Used to being a straight A student, Mary was nonplussed by her 88% on the exam." Z thought it implied neutrality: not caring about or being attached to a certain outcome. So, I looked it up in the OED and found:

nonplus v. & n.: completely perplex; a state of perplexity, a standstill.


To be perplexed, of course, means to be puzzled, bewildered or disconcerted. So nonplus somehow implies confusion as in, "I am nonplussed by the definition of nonplus."


I came across another great term in a paper that I read for my fisheries class: externality internalization. It made me cock my head to one side and say, "Rrrr?" like Kaya.

At first I tried to ignore it, figuring that we would define it in class tomorrow. Unfortunately, it doesn't just appear in the title of the paper; it's one of the focal points too (go figure). Given that I'm presenting the paper, I felt like I should probably turn up with a definition. I turned again to the OED which stated that to externalize is to give or attribute external existence to, while to internalize is to make internal.

Can you say, "Rrrr?"

For an apposite definition, I had to pull out my Conservation Biology text book from college. The meaning is so unsatisfying that I won't bore you with it here. It's better to misuse it deviously. Just think of the fun you can have in that next monthly meeting! You should practice saying it out loud right now. Perhaps if you repeat it three times a genie will burst from your computer screen, cleverly demonstrating an externality internalization.

2 comments:

e said...

heheheheheh. you said "cock". heheheheh.

Bartlebee said...

I was thinking about internalizing an externality today. I can't think of any applications, though - other than to sound impressive. Unfortunately, I appear to have chosen a field in which bullshitting with the use of obscure terms rarely works. After all, it's a field that regularly uses the phrase, "externality internalization."