April 20, 2006

Reasons to love Laos

An old woman wobbles a tumbler of lao-lao aloft in the vague direction of the companions seated at the table around her, cracks a large gap-toothed grin and collapses onto her nearest neighbor in a fit of giggles. She is one of several thousand drunks in Louang Prabang and all of them appear to be having a good time; there is no threat of the mood deteriorating into angry drunk. What other place can make this claim?

Drag queens grind against poles set up outside a guesthouse facing the Mekong. They are just short of fall-down drunk and it's the middle of the day. One wears a kimono, one a Sadaam mask and green beret, another a peaked chinaman hat and ao dai. I feel like I have traveled back to the Castro for Pride.

Our bus from Louang Prabang to Vientiane plays Asian pop videos that make me want to shoot myself in the foot. They are, it turns out, also karaoke videos. One of the three conductors who started drinking Beer Lao at 8:00am picks up the mic and sings along. Fortunately, he has a decent singing voice. This is the same conductor who offers a giggled two-word explanation for each of our frequent stops: Pee pee.

There is no way to avoid the water - no way to say no, only a way to take it graciously, with a smiled "Sabaidee pi mai!". But most people pour it graciously, making it feel like the blessing it is intended to be. By early afternoon each day, I feel very, very, very blessed. Blessed to the undies.

One afternoon, Anne, Alex, Z and I retreat from the water to an outdoor table at a cafe. We order spring rolls and laap and very chewy beef and mekong seaweed that never shows up and drink vast quantities of beer over several hours of serious card playing that involves wiggling our butts while standing on chairs, quacking like ducks and doing our best impression of Anakin's Noooooooo from Star Wars III. Our tab is $10. Total.

Walking through the night market alone, I realize how different it is to any other market I have ever been in: It is quiet. There is no yelling, no, "Meeeeester, you wan' (fill in the blank)?", no music, just women sitting by their hand-made wares talking quietly with eachother. The hush makes me feel like I'm walking through a temple. All of a sudden, the power goes out and the quiet crowd emits an "Oooooooooh!" in unison. I just have to smile.

And that is what Laos is like: It forces me to smile. Even when I don't feel like it, I smile.

1 comment:

David said...

made me smile too, madhavi