April 25, 2006

Close

The news about the bombs in Dahab is downright creepy. I was there three months ago. This was our favorite restaurant; their grilled chicken was fantastic.


We've talked about our safety a fair amount on this trip, perhaps understandable considering where we've been. I remember a moment in Cairo when we were walking past a large important building surrounded by armed guards called the World Trade somethingorother. As we walked past, an old beat-up car pulled up as close as it could get to the building and a man leaned out. I had a moment of pure fear. But he was only asking for directions from one of the guards.

The only other time I've been really scared was when our bus from Louang Prabang to Vientiane almost skidded out of control on a mountain curve.

But now this. And in a backpacker place. Relatively low-budget. When we went to Amman fairly soon after the blasts there, we assuaged our fear by remembering that we wouldn't be staying at the Hilton and that our small, crappy guesthouse wouldn't be a target.

But Dahab was.

SE Asia is the first non-western part of the world that I've come back to after a prolonged absence. And this Dahab incident is the first time I've been somewhere and then seen it blown to pieces. I guess New Yorkers, Londoners, Madrid-ers and many, many others relate. It's just my first.

Being back has got me thinking about the homogenization of culture as the west penetrates ever deeper into the east, north and south. One night over dinner in Louang Prabang, Anne, Alex, Z and I talked about the foods we miss and crave. I was hard-pressed to come up with anything, finally settling on Mexican cuisine and Kettle Chips. Pai has both. Cravings satisfied? Check.

This homogenization is related to the fact that more and more people are traveling. We talk about why: travel's easier; more places are accessible; travel is more accepted. But not necessarily safer. I once asked my Dad if he felt like the world was going to hell when he was my age. He said, Yes - but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is today.

He knows how to cheer a person up!

I do not mean to be alarmist. This is one incident in a world of travelers who have had perfectly safe days. It's just makes me think.

And considering how hot it is here, there's little else to do. Though the middle of the day is usually too hot even for thought.

No comments: