April 06, 2006

Click!

The further we get from our travels in Africa, the better they become. Funny how time allows us to forget pain. I suppose it's an integral part of our species; without this mechanism, I'm not sure that women would ever get pregnant a second time. And just last night, Z said that he would consider returning to Ethiopia to see Harare and the south. Yet he covers his ears at the mention of Ethiopian food. Humans are strange, strange creatures.

Memories from our trip through East Africa are with me still...

...The Ugandan sky darkening rapidly as a storm approached, the light tinged with yellow and every leaf shaking in the sudden wind. And then a crack of thunder and splash of lightning and all the birds in the trees flying up into the sky...

...A conversation with an Egyptian taxi driver in which we tried to explain the outcome of the last U.S. elections using only hand gestures and the words Bush and Kerry: vigorous thumbs down; palms held upwards as scales; violent head shakes...

...A woman walking down the street in Dar es Salaam catches up with me and utters one word: thief. I look at her, my face a question. She nods her head in the direction of the man behind my left shoulder. I thank her profusely and slow down as she walks on unperturbed...

And there are many more. And not just from Africa. These pictures reminded me of more from our travels through Jordan and Sri Lanka. It's been a wild ride. And we're nearing the end. Just Laos and nothern Thailand and Nice City X with Lev and perhaps some diving with Roberto. All too soon we'll be setting up shop in New Zealand, home to fjords and hot water beaches. And us for a while.

No comments: