August 17, 2005

Pick an Island ... Any Island ...

Z and I are reconsidering our travel options. Plan A will take us to Palau for two weeks at an incredible expense, then to Oz and SE Asia, with a "final" destination of India. Trouble is that - at this very late date - I have realized that I don't really want to go to Oz nor to SE Asia. India sounds OK but not exciting. Instead, I'm interested in the other side of the world: Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Madagascar, Mozambique, Zanzibar, Ethiopia... While we talk about getting to Africa and the Middle East eventually, I worry that we will run out of money before we make it to the places that I really want to go. While I've felt this for a while, it all came to a head yesterday. Perhaps it was learning that my god-parents just decided to come to the wedding (best frackin' news in a while!) thereby reducing the number of people to see in Oz by two. Unfortunately, all this last-minute questioning has turned Z into a lump under the covers; he's a little stressed out about having another thing to think about. I'm trying to figure out if there's another beautiful island that we could honeymoon on - y'know, one with white sand beaches, warm tourmaline waters and a cloudless cobalt sky - for less than the cost of our trip to Palau. We aren't really interested in roughing it - we even want to make reservations so that we don't have to lug our backpacks through the tropical heat in search of a room. The island could be anywhere - really, anywhere. As long as it doesn't cost us a quarter of our money to get there.

So, know any islands we should consider? When you dream about escaping it all, where do you imagine going? Help please!

1 comment:

e said...

it sounds like you should split the difference. meaning iceland.