January 23, 2005

In Another Life

A friend introduced me to a fun little exercise: off the top of your head, imagine what you would be if you had another life to live. These are not necessarily dreams that you have and want to fulfill, but more like the first five things that come to mind. This afternoon I would be a/n:

1. Fireman
2. Secret Agent à la X Files
3. Forensic scientist
4. Dog
5. Epidemiologist

Number one because it was the first thing that came to mind; number two because I would be privy to all that top secret, classified information and would therefore know whether or not alien abductions really happen; number three because I would know how they figured out that Mr. Peacock did it in the library with the candlestick; number four because it would be fun; and number five because it would be a good conversation starter (and ender) at a cocktail party:

Exceedingly handsome man (looks just like Zack) approaches with two martinis: Say, pretty lady, what do you do?
Me: Well, kind sir, I'm an epidemiologist.
Exceedingly handsome man: Oh?
Me: An epidemiologist studies the spread of disease. I'm currently working on Ebola - that's the African virus that causes death by massive hemorrhaging. If infected, your body basically turns to goop. It's terribly contagious.
Exceedingly handsome man: Oh. Really. How interesting. I'll be right back...

No comments: