June 09, 2008

A first

On Saturday evening, Z and I met up with just about all of our Melbourne friends to celebrate Mr. Z's birthday. There was drinking involved (it is Australia after all): lots of wine and a couple of beers. We got home around 1:00 and crawled into bed. Z fell asleep immediately. How could I tell? The incredibly loud snoring was a hint. I'm sure all the neighbours could tell just as easily. I tried the usual tactics to counter over-active nasal passages: the nudge, the elbow, the kick. No go. I had to resort to sleeping on the futon in the office. I felt bad about leaving the bed, not so bad once I realized I could still hear him through the solid brick wall between the rooms. This is the first time we have slept in separate beds under the same roof. Next time, however (and I presume there will be a next time) he's the one getting the boot.

No comments: