December 21, 2005

update in five movements

1. While hiking in Arusha National Park, Tanzania our guide told us what to do if a buffalo charges: lie down. That way their horns can't get underneath you. This advice assumes you would rather be trampled to death than gored to death. Tough choice, that. While hiking in Murchison National Park, Uganda we had the incredible good fortune of coming across a family of about 20 chimpanzees. Some were in the trees, others on the ground about 10m away through fairly thick bush. Squatting next to the guide, he pointed at a male on the ground and whispered, "That one is rough." "Rough?" I asked. "Yes - mean." I asked what one should do if faced with an agressive chimp and was assured that with a group of our size (Z and our guide had encountered a European couple and their guide), a chimp wouldn't act agressively. "But what if you're alone? What do you do if you're alone?" I pressed. The guides looked at me like I was crazy and said simply, "Don't."

2. Sleep is not treated with the same respect here as in other parts of the world. For example, it is perfectly acceptable to honk your horn repeatedly at 2:00am. Holding conversations at full volume in hotel courtyards at 4:30am is just fine. Radios at 3:15am? No problem! On the night bus from Mbale, Uganda to Nairobi, Kenya I learned that shrieking with laughter at midnight on a darkened bus is also perfectly acceptable. I did manage to fall asleep eventually only to be awoken by the bus bumping and swaying as it progressed down what was obviously a windy dirt road. I stuck my head into the aisle and peered out the front windows. I discovered that we were actually on a straight road - a paved, straight road. It had apparently last been resurfaced in 1936. Our bus was navigating an impressive slalom course around the axle-breaking potholes. I watched until I realized that I was gripping the arm rest tightly and tensing my jaw everytime we swayed precariously. I decided it was better to put my eye mask back on and pretend that we were on a mountain road.

3. You have probably by now read about the monkey-eating chronicles. Last night we went to Carnivore, a restaurant that would strike horror into the heart of every vegetarian. I learned that I don't like crocodile - fish should be fishy and meat should be meaty. Fishy meat is not a good thing. Camel is unsurprisingly chewy and remarkably flavorless. Ostrich meatballs are quite good. Lamb still remains one of my favorite carnivoric indulgences.

In other culinary news, I have developped a taste for matooke, one of the staples of the Ugandan diet. It's cooked green banana mush, usually served with beans and cabbage. This may explain the lack of East African restaurants in America. But really, it's not that bad.

4. In Sipi, Uganda we had dinner at the restaurant in town which was also the pub. Picture a small room with ancient, dusty chairs arranged around a low formica table and unpainted concrete walls with ripped beer ads and faded religious calendars tacked up at strange angles. Across the doorway swung a "beaded" curtain made from bent bottle caps and blue twine. It was here that we got into a discussion with three men about AIDS. One man, the youngest at about 20, asked if it's true that condoms cause cancer. We emphatically denied this vicious rumor, drawing all the authority we could from the fact that I'm a scientist and American. Hopefully the young man was convinced and will tell his friends.

That evening was the first time in two months that I have felt comfortable, welcomed and at ease with locals. The conversation was motivated by mutual interest, not money. It was fantastic. It made me aware, however, of the things that I miss. I'm looking forward to finding a home somewhere - to feeling at home somewhere.

5. In three hours we fly to Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia. I think it's going to be very different. At least I know that I like Ethiopian food.

1 comment:

juli claire said...

sounds like you've found what you're looking for, both directly and indirectly. feeling at home and settling into home are sounding extremely good to me to--and i didn't even go to africa! it's amazing how important "home" turns out to be, whether there's a specific place you're going back to, or one to create in new places.