January 28, 2008

Hit it!

I had a dream that I was playing tennis in the Australian open, except that instead of a racket I was using a wooden spoon. I wasn't very good.

I'm home for three days, catching up on sleep, watching fish videos, recharging camera batteries and readying myself for another four days in Apollo Bay. I imagine that this is largely what my life will be like for the next four or five months: home for a couple of days a week, gone for a few weeks a month. The transition back to home hasn't been especially smooth. On the boat, it's Go Go Go and I'm in charge, making lots of snap decisions and generally running the show. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out why coming home has met with a few hiccups.

Today is the Australia Day holiday, which I am celebrating in true Aussie style: by doing nothing much at all. Actually, I'm at work and planning to meet up with Z and friends in the park in a few hours. We finally managed to find a frisbee and I'm looking forward to running around like an idiot for a bit. And drinking some beer. At least that part of the day will be true to the Aussie spirit.

1 comment:

Tano Sokolow said...

We celebrated Australia Day! In Burbank! Our friend Arthur has always been a dual citizen, though he's thoroughly American, and every year he throws an Australia Day party. It was grand. I did not eat the vegemite, I learned about that the first time.