December 21, 2006

Say what?

I was just awarded one of these:

The Helen Macpherson Smith Scholarships

The trustees of the Helen Macpherson Smith Trust have donated funds to establish special scholarships for outstanding women who are entering postgraduate study. Two scholarships are available annually and are normally awarded to the highest-ranked female recipients of an APA or MRS entering a:

1. scientific/technical discipline, and
2. a humanities/social sciences discipline.

This is in addition to the scholarship I've already been given. I am in total disbelief. My husband is not surprised. Which is not surprising. But the money sure as hell is. As is the swing from "How are we going to pay rent?" poverty to "Let's buy a dresser and a new mattress and some clothes to go with that suhweet coat Head and Ether sent" prosperity. It makes by brain go all blooey and my heart beat quickly - which is a good thing. Surprises like this are good for my health.

2 comments:

e said...

wow, that's great! but what are you going to do that one day when helen macpherson smith comes and asks you to do a "favor"? one that you can't refuse?

Bartlebee said...

well duh, i'll sell her my first-born child or my husband, whichever i have on hand at the moment.