October 01, 2006

Losing time

It's been a very bizarre morning and it's only 10:23am. I woke up at 7:20 this morning, groaned on the inside and lay in bed for a few minutes trying to fall back asleep. I opened my eyes again, ready to surrender to wakefullness, and looked at the clock: 8:56. Huh? I would swear that I hadn't fallen back asleep and that I was lying there awake for under 20 minutes. I seem to have lost an hour and a half.

Thinking about this is enough to kick my brain into full awake mode so up I get to make myself some tea.

First stop of the day to check e-mail and my usual blog and news sites. I need to actually accomplish a few things this week, so I give myself an hour to play on-line before tackling various items on my to-do list. I glance at the computer clock: 10:23. Huh??? I look at the clock on the Mac and it reads the same time. By my calculations it should be 9:23. Perhaps daylight saving time has kicked in - or ended? I can never figure out which section of the year is which. So I check the local paper on-line: nothing. I check another local paper: still nothing. Have I unwittingly entered the twilight zone?

Google - ah, Google, has the answers as it always does. It is indeed the end of daylight saving time. The fact that eNZed does not advertise this on the cover of its newspapers goes hand in hand with the fact that all its banks close at 4:30pm and are not open on Saturdays. Clearly, if the banks stayed open later the newspapers would tell us when it's time to change our clocks.

I take this as another sign that it is time to move to Melbourne where they have discovered the key to world peace and a solution rampant global warming.

No comments: