August 22, 2006

Disproving a hypothesis

By my calculations, we have a little over two weeks in which to decide whether or not we are staying in Wellington. That will leave us with about a month to find our own place to live. Two weeks!?!? Eek!

How does one go about making decisions of this magnitude? What should one look for in a place to live? What's important to me? To Z? To us?

My best approach to answering these questions is to resort to the use of science. In science, you don't set out to prove anything but instead strive to disprove a hypothesis. Using this method, I assume that we are staying in Wellington and spend the next two weeks trying to find a reason to leave. A good reason to leave, because our back-up plan (Melbourne) may not be any better. If we go to Melbourne hoping it makes up for some of the things lacking in Wellington, we may be sorely disappointed. However, if we go to Melbourne because we've found something that really won't work for us in Wellington, we're more likely to not regret the decision to move on. (Those who know me well may recognize another situation in which this same approach was employed - I'll leave you guessing.)

We'll see how this fine principal works when put into practice - if I can put it into practice!

In other news, I have been conditionally accepted into a Ph.D. program at Victoria University in Wellington. The conditional part goes away when I secure funding in the form of a scholarship. I'll know about that by early December, though my potential advisor said I have a really good shot. Basically, it looks like I'll be starting a PhD program in January. Excuse me while I emit another EEEK!

This is good news - I think. It does make the committment to being away for three years feel more real. When I was in SF, the time and distance were more abstract. Now that I'm faced with the reality, I feel bewildered. In the end, I suppose all we can do is make a decision and live with it. After all, three years is only three years.

2 comments:

e said...

maybe you are setting your scope too small. perhaps you should hypothesize that you aren't even in wellington at all, and then try to disprove that first. maybe by then a few weeks will have gone by and you'll be stuck.

although do you really want to live in a country that has gone winless so far in the fiba world championships? oh, that's right, it's like of like the socceroos, but of kiwi basketball.

congrats on getting into your phd program! that means you get to do free work on professor's project, right? maybe you can borrow xz's day laborer sign.

David said...

I think you should move somewhere else so I have more places to stay when I head to NZ in December. Selfish? You betcha.