February 26, 2006

Then and Now

For four months, we've been slogging our way through Africa. And now, we're in the Land of Milk and Honey, which I humbly suggest be renamed the Land of Chocolate Cake and Cappucino. After a hassle-free week of good food and comfortable living, I find that my tendency to laugh in difficult situations has returned - not that we've had any difficult situations recently. This weekend was spent at the King David Hotel thanks to my wonderful parents-in-law and parents-not-in-law. It was the opposite of difficult. Our room with a view over the Old City was upgraded to a suite with a view over the Old City. We had two TV's, a king size bed with down pillows and comforter, and a wonderfully deep bathtub which I took advantage of twice. It was bubblicious.

In addition to bathing and watching bad movies on TV, we took the rampart walk around the Old City. I've visited many old and beautiful places in my life (Tikal, Angkor Wat, Valley of the Kings, etc.), but none that have permeated the fabric of my consciousness quite like the sites in Jerusalem. While walking through the city last week, Z pointed out that we were on the Via Dolorosa. "So?" I asked in my areligious ignorance. He explained that it's the route Jesus walked carrying his cross. Oh. And the eye of the needle is here, too - as in, pass a camel through the eye of the needle. It's crazy old. And crazy important to so many people.

As for me, I'm discovering, much to the dismay of our bank account, that clothes are important. It's taken me 30 years to accept the fact that I do have feminine tendencies and to admit that I like nice clothes. For four months, I've been wearing the same clothes over and over again. This was particularly problematic in Egypt where the cold made us reticent to remove said clothes so that they could be laundered; let's just say that they got a little narsty. Not only that, but in Egypt I didn't want to look attractive or feminine; I got enough unwelcome attention in my baggy pants and shapeless top. For my birffday (pronounciation care of Raelin), I got new clothes from Miryana, Dad and Zack. I know have cute skirts and tops that do not make me look "big" as one saleswoman put it - this in a boutique near Ben Yehudah where the aformentioned baggy and stained pants were exchanged for a series of beautiful skirts and elegant tops. Both Z and I stood and stared at me, shocked at the difference good tailoring will make.

This would, I believe, be an appropriate moment to heap praise upon my exceptional husband who figured out how to make me happy and who planned this fantastic 30th birthday by e-mail from another country - and managed to keep it all a secret despite my tendancy to read over his shoulder. Thanks also for all of the phone calls and letters and cards and a beautiful red necklace and a pair of ExOfficio underwear and the chocolate fudge and the chocolate bars and photos and NY Times crossword puzzles and the cominc book and the big pink lollipop. It was wonderfully comforting to feel you all so close.

Todah rabah. Shockran. Amaseganallo. Asante sana. Thank you!

No comments: