April 16, 2005

My best John Hancock

I just returned from downtown, specifically 630 Sansome Street where I met with a very nice lady at the INS. It was my citizenship interview and test at the ungodly hour of 8:20am. Actually, it's very good (from "godly") that i was scheduled so early as it meant little time for lengthy delays to build up.

She, the very nice lady, asked me many questions like: What's your name? Where were you born? Have you ever been a member of the communist party? Would you like to listed as 5'5" tall or 5'6" tall on your naturalization form? and Which was the 49th state? I got all of the questions right, even that last one. The only thing I had trouble with was signing my name.


Yes, signing my name.


It turns out that my actual signature is (and I quote) "too complicated" for the INS. I need to write my name out - all of it. But not like that! It needs to be in cursive, with all of the letters connected. The first time I tried this, I was told that I was printing my name though it was as good a cursive rendition of my name as I've ever done. I was given a blank piece of paper and told to practice. Practice! My signature! My *new* signature. I eventually got it right.


And that's it. They will contact me in one to two months with the date of my swearing-in ceremony. And then, I will be an American (and an Australian and a Brit). I still don't know how I feel about that.


A friend of mine - someone who shares my political values and with whom I often get into rants aobut the current state of affairs - learned yesterday that I had this test this morning. We got into a discussion about the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and its Preamble. She finds these documents to be eloquent and just, and she believes that the ideas upon which the US was founded were fantastic. Since then, however, she said that democracy and republican government have become synonymous with capitalism resulting in things going to hell.
Her patriotism was the first I've been able to stomach and to agree with.

Oh my. Look at that. I almost - *almost* - sound patriotic. I better stop writing.

2 comments:

Bartlebee said...

maybe i am a ----- ------ ------- which would also ---- -- a ----.

i probably shouldn't write that.

this comment has been edited for security reasons.

jason s said...

I expect you'll be singing the Star Spangled Banner next time I see you?

I'm not sure if this warrants a "congratulations" or a "my condolences" ... um ... how about ... smoke 'em if you got 'em!?